Gardenia, the leading manufacturer of bread in the Philippines, recently held ‘The Next Big Sandwich Hit,’ bringing together Hotel and Restaurant Management students from Metro Manila to create their own unique sandwich masterpieces. The ingredients provided included walnuts, mango, strawberries, prawns, cucumber strips, among others. Eats Now or Never shows you how to replicate the top 3 sandwiches that made the list.
Gardenia Creamy Chocolate Sandwich
Sandwiches can oftentimes be eaten as creamy, rich and smooth. But in this version it is riddled with raisins, cashew nuts, colored sprinkles, and drizzled with chocolate syrup, making the whole dish creamy and sweet as ever. Plus with apples as part of its side dish, eating this creamy chocolate sandwich can be both good for your mind and your spirit.
3 slices Gardenia Chocolate Chip Loaf
3 slices Classic White Bread
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp raisin
2 tbsp cashew nuts
1 tbsp white sugar
¼ tbsp vanilla
30g cream cheese
5g colored sprinkles
25ml chocolate syrup
¼ tsp cinnamon powder
1 pc red apple
1) Mix brown sugar, butter and chopped raisin and then set aside.
2) In a separate bowl, mix the cream cheese, cashew nuts, vanilla and sugar.
3) Spread the raisin mixture over the apple slices and then bake it for ten minutes.
4) Cut the Gardenia chocolate chip loaf and classic white load into a round shape.
5) Spread the cream cheese mixture over the slices of Gardenia chocolate chip loaf. Then top it with a slice of classic white bread.
6) Baste the side of the Gardenia Chocolate chip load and white bread with chocolate syrup and then sprinkle with colored sprinkles.
7) Assemble the sandwich by placing alternately the apple slices and the combined chocolate chip load and classic white bread slices.
8) Drizzle with chocolate syrup on top and then garnish it with mint leaves.
Gardenia Tempura Sandwich Overload
Whoever mixes your sandwiches with shrimp? At first glance it may sound a bit bizarre to mix in a crustacean but once you get to have a taste of it, this dish comes off as succulent and delicious – and at times even juicy thanks to the overload of this special ingredient. There are also carrot and cucumber strips, and mushroom into the blend so you are guaranteed that this sandwich is indeed healthful. Plus the crunchiness of this meal (yes, crunchy) is enough to whet your appetite. You’ll see when you get a hold of this.
3 slices of Gardenia High Fiber wheat bread
1 slice bologna ham
1 slice cheese
1 piece large prawn
1/4 cup bread crumbs
5g carrot strips
5g cucumber strips
5g Inoki mushroom
1 strip bacon
1 pc Nori wrapper
Vegetable oil (for deep frying)
1) In a blender, add in all the ingredients for the sauce then blend it until smooth. Set aside.
2) Dredge prawn with flour, then dip over beaten egg. Cover with bread crumbs then deep-fry until golden brown.
3) In a separate pan, fry bologna. Using the same pan, prepare the omelet with dried nori.
4) To build the sandwich, place the spread over the flatten Gardenia bread. Place alternately: bologna, cheese, omelet, shrimp tempura, lettuce, Inoki mushroom, carrots and cucumber, and then wrap it with a slice of bacon.
5) Dip the wrapped sandwich over a beaten egg and then dredge it with bread crumbs.
6) Deep-fry the sandwich until golden brown. Serve it over nori wrapper.
The Hyper Sandwich
Who’d want fruits in their sandwiches? Apparently many as this appetizing dish offer different sources of flavors such as the sourness of strawberries and the sweetness of mangoes. Plus with the rosiness of the Pistachio ice cream embedded into this hearty meal, you can never really go wrong. For those who are crazy about nuts, this one has roasted almonds in them too. Top all of these with chocolate syrup, then you have heaven on your plate.
Dates and walnut bread
Pistachio ice cream
1) Chop mango and strawberries into sizes and then mix it with pistachio ice cream.
2) Cut the middle portion of the stack white bread to form bread similar to a cake.
3) Cut the cream cheese into cubes and then mix.
4) Put it in the mixer together with the egg, the sugar and a squeeze of calamansi.
5) Fill up the middle circular portion of the dates and walnuts with cream cheese.
6) Put it in the fridge or oven until it becomes firm.
7) Sprinkle roasted almonds.
8) Scoop vanilla ice cream to top it off.
9) Use the fruits to plate the sandwich.
10) Drizzle chocolate syrup. -#EatsNowOrNever
Latest posts by Excel Dyquiangco (see all)
- Buffet restaurants in secrets - October 15, 2014
- Learn how to make the top 3 sandwiches from Gardenia’s ‘The Next Big Sandwich Hit’ - October 9, 2014
- 10 alternative restaurants not just for the food - September 2, 2014